Chickens killed in rural New Ulm shed fire started by heat lamp

Chickens were killed in a shed fire in rural New Ulm on Wednesday morning.

The New Ulm Fire Department responded to an address on 200th Ave between New Ulm and Essig just before 7 a.m.

The small chicken coop where the fire originated was already destroyed when firefighters arrived on the scene, and the blaze had spread to two other sheds, according to a New Ulm Fire Department press release.

Officials say one small shed suffered heavy damage, while a larger shed sustained moderate damage.

An unknown number of chickens perished in the fire.  There were no injuries reported by residents or firefighters.

A heat lamp for the chickens was determined as the cause of the fire, according to the news release.